Monday, March 17, 2014

Shepherd's Pie


Happy Saint Patrick's Day!!!

For dinner today, I made Shepherd's Pie to celebrate the day. It was quite interesting reading up on Shepherd's Pie, its origin and what can be added to the dish. Yes, I'm one of "those" that ends up reading more on the food than just finding a recipe itself. I get curious.

Anyway, per usual, I eye'd pretty much all of the ingredients; which were ground beef (lamb is very common), beef stock, tomato paste, onion (I used red), minced garlic (I love garlic), mixed veggies (I had corn, peas, carrots, & green beans), potatoes (I used 3 large ones), salt & pepper. I cooked all the ingredients together in one pot, but the potatoes; which were boiled separately. I eventually put the cooked ingredients into a dish where I add the mashed the potatoes (I boiled then mashed the potatoes) and evenly (at least tried to) distribute them on top. I used a fork to give it a "look" (whatever that was) and popped it in the oven on broil to give it a little golden look. Some people add cheese to the top, but I did not.

Whew. I really give credit to food bloggers because this is a lot of work and I didn't even do half of the directions. Wow! Getting side-track now...

So, what delicious Irish dish did you make to celebrate St. Patrick's Day???

1 comment:

Janna Renee said...

I love Shepard's Pie! I make it with mashed cauliflower on top to make it healthier, but I love classic too.